Wednesday 4 January 2017

Mount Kinabalu, Sabah~

Mountain Kinabalu: 22nd and 23rd August 2016


There I was again, after graduated from Sabah 8 years ago, back to challenge myself with Mt Kinabalu and enjoy the supposedly nice scenery:

Nah, this not what I had in this trip! What I had was not even close with that picture.

Day 1 trekking was a enjoyable one, but half journey, God of rain screamed on us, heavy rain came, thick mist and strong wind was what I had. According to weather station at Mt Kinabalu that day, wind was moving 40km/h, it can fly a man!


Flashing back those memories, still a worth one:


Kinabalu park entrance

Place we gathered to have briefing

Route map up until top of mountain. Was feeling exciting!


And the journey started – all with proper build staircase, up until one point where there is rocky route, and there was where rain heavy and flowing down like waterfall and it soaked my whole shoe.


With hiking brothers

And going up uP UP~~

Staircase again

Started the journey from Timpohan Gate at around 9.30am, arrived Laban Rata around 3pm. We could have arrived early if the weather is good, but it was a good experience, trekking without rains and winds are less fun.


Our hut in Laban Rata. No, we don’t own the whole building, just a small dorm, for a night at 3200M


We can hear wind blowing hard and rain nonstop inside our dorm, for whole day even until when we got to hike to peak. Oh and, showering when you’re in Laban Rata is a choice. You can opt for wet tissue do the job, or use the not-so-hot water heater they had there. In my case, I use neither of them. I just cover myself with blanker, it was freaking COLD!


Awake at 12.30am, and get ready for final hike. We started to trek up to peak only at 3.30am because of bad weather, and still bad even when we already started our journey. To make it worst, we have to reach the Sayat-Sayat check point latest by 5am (a point where you decide to go up or go home). During the journey to check point, saw some participants having Altitude Sickness, difficulty breathing, at around 3500M.

 
To cut the story short, pictures tell a million words:


Sayat-Sayat check point

Road to heaven or hell..

Misty and my visibility was 10-15M ahead

See the red light? It was in fact quite near me!

And finally made it to TOP!
With my all-time hiking bro, together with “colored certificate”. PS: only for those who made it to TOP! :D
 
The next day when we descending the mountain. This was the nicest  picture taken during the hike.


In summary, it was an exciting trip and definitely a memorable one, as I saw another side of Mt Kinabalu that I never see before, and it made my year 2016 a significant one. Thank you Mt Kinabalu!

No comments:

Post a Comment